At one time Mitchell had 11 teachers and an accredited 9th-grade school. Around 1922, Mitchell hosted a “County-wide Field Day,” a big day for the whole county. The town and school had a baseball team; the first about 1914 was reported as being very good.
The community had outgrown the two-room schoolhouse, and around 1928 a new one was built of brick. It was large with a beautiful auditorium; the town and community were very proud of it. It burned in February 1931, and another one was built, which was the last schoolhouse in Mitchell. When the school moved to Gibson, all was torn down, but two rooms and a hall left for a community house and reminder of all the memories of long ago.
The Community House recently underwent renovations, including a fresh paint job and new flooring. A popular facility to host receptions, reunions, and special events, the building remains a pride of Mitchell today.
The facility is heated and air-conditioned. Our Community House includes a kitchen, large dining hall complete with ample tables and chairs, restrooms, and a ramp for easy access into the building.